Friday, March 16, 2012

Bible Study

I went to my first Bible Study last night. I've been wanting to go for a long time, but it coincides with one of my graduate classes. Since it's spring break, I took the opportunity to go experience it. I'm so happy that I did. It was a great experience! The group is geared towards young adults, but it is advanced enough for adults as well. I think that it is great that the leader of this group, Brandon, focuses on trying to reach out to the younger generation since their evangelization is integral to the future of the church.

There were only 11 of us there, so that meant it was a nice intimate experience. We focused John 3: 14-21. Of course everyone knows John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him might not perish but might have eternal life." (NAB) But the verses that stuck out to me was actually verses 20-21, "For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light so that his works might not be exposed. But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God."

How many times have we seen people who are admonished in their sin become defensive then turn away? No one likes to be told that they are doing wrong, but we are all sinners and we need to recognize that. We also need to recognize that if we truly turn our lives to God, we will recognize our sins and weaknesses then take turns to correct them. As opposed to those who are not fully turned to God find no fault with their actions or they try to justify them in various ways. We cannot justify sin.

I am reminded of Father Robert Barron who, in his documentary Catholicism, describes saints as those who are turned to the light. Take someone who is driving their car toward the sun, they can see all the dirt and smears reflected on the surface of their windshield and they take note to clean it so that they can see. However, someone who is driving their car away from the sun will not see the dirt and smears and think their vision is fine.

If we are turned to God we cannot help but see our flaws. And we are flawed. Even the saints were flawed. But this difference is if we recognize our flaws and take action to correct them. I know that I have issues with sin. I think my biggest fault is judging others. Sometimes the things that go through my mind shock even me! I keep praying that God will teach me humility so that I may stop being so judgemental.

No comments:

Post a Comment