Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Own Flaws

I have gotten involved in a debate via Facebook with my future cousin-in-law over the topic of women priests. I think he likes to start debates on some topics just for the conversation, and I was allowed to really allow my apologetic side to shine! I beat down almost every argument he made. He is a cradle Catholic, claiming to be very devout, but does not hold some of the basic beliefs that we, as Catholics, hold.

Catholicism IS NOT a cafeteria religion. You can't believe in somethings and leave the rest behind. The main beliefs that separate us from the Protestants are:

1) Real Presence in the Eucharist
2) Veneration of Mary
3) Purgatory
4) Papal Infallibility on matters of faith
5) We don't believe in Sola Fide or Sola Scriptura

These are some of the main sticking points. How can you be a true Catholic if you don't believe in the Real Presence? How can you follow a Pope if you don't believe he is led by the Holy Spirit? If you don't really believe some of these basic principles, then you are just going through the motions. Maybe you don't understand your faith because you have never taken the initiative to study the reasons why we believe what we do. If that is the case, then it is a shame.

Now, I am coming to the realization that I am a rather judgemental person. At least I think I am. While I am debating my future cousin-in-law, I am thinking to myself what a bad Catholic he is. I should not think that. I do not doubt that he has a relationship with God, and even if he does not fully understand Church teachings that does not make him a bad person. I should not judge someone to be a 'good Catholic' or a 'bad Catholic'. That is not really my place, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment