Monday, April 18, 2011

Senator Joe Manchin = Disgrace!

Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia, a Roman Catholic and member of the Knights of Columbus (4th Degree) voted to NOT defund Planned Parenthood. I wrote to him about a month or so ago, when all of this hoop-la began, and I begged him to uphold his faith and vote to defund Planned Parenthood. I got a very generic letter back from him basically saying that he wants to make sure that people have access to the health care that they need. What a bullshit answer and I am not afraid to say it!

We all know that Planned Parenthood is the largest provider of abortions in this country. Yes, they do other things as well, like offer pelvic exams, STD testing, and mammograms. (Wait...they don't offer mammograms? Then why do they get money from the Susan B. Komen foundation? Didn't Cecile Richards go on national TV and say they offer mammograms...Oh, she lied? SHOCKER!) And yes, they do offer free condoms and that magical pill. Supposedly they educate women and teenagers about safe sex and birth control. But last time I checked they did not offer Natural Family Planning classes, therefore, they are not education women on ALL of their options. Just the ones that make the drug companies money.

They also are in cahoots with the Girl Scouts of America teaching young girls how to masturbate and give oral sex. I don't know if they've forgotten, but STD's can be transmitted orally too! And those cheap condoms that they give away have a high failure rate. But hey, I guess it's better than no condom at all, right? Because abstinence is just too hard to practice these days and we can't expect young people to deny themselves instant gratification without suffering the consequences.

Ok, enough of that rambling. We all know how immoral Planned Parenthood is. However I think this is where I need to come clean. I know that as of this point I have 0 people following my blog, and that's OK. I did not always practice my Catholic faith. For about six years I was a practicing Wiccan and I used birth control since I was 16 years old. I was not sexually active at age 16, but I suffered from major crampage during my period and the doctor gave me that magic pill to help. I was on the pill for 10 years.
Now, when I left my previous job to the one I have now, I went one month with no medical insurance, and the prescription for my pill just happened to run out during that time period. I just needed a prescription for birth control for one month until I got insurance through my new job and got in with a doctor in West Virginia where I was moving to. I decided to go to Planned Parenthood. I sat in the waiting room for like 3 hours and watched herd after herd of teenage boys trot in and out getting these paper lunch bags that they were handing out like candy, I assume that they were full of condoms. Eventually a doctor sat down with me and without a pelvic exam gave me a prescription of birth control for six months. She prescribed Yaz, a name brand pill. I paid $60 for this service. She didn't ask me anything about my medical history, what drugs I may have been on, my sexual history, whether I was monogamous or not. She just asked what I needed and what pill I wanted prescribed. At first she suggested Seasonique, the magical pill that only gives you four periods a year, but I have never thought that stopping your period was a healthy thing to do.
So, yes future readers of mine, I have gone to Planned Parenthood. I am not a saint. HOWEVER...I was a completely different person back then and my moral standards were embarrassingly low. I now see and understand that contraceptives (unless used for medical purposes and if all other avenues have been explored) is against God's Will. I was once Pro-Choice and am now Pro-Life. I see that Planned Parenthood is not fully educating women and teaching our children that sex is for gratification only. They are degrading a wonderful Gift that is God given and presenting it as a common thing!

Joe Manchin (D-WV) has failed to uphold the teachings of the Church that he belongs to. It seems that he can easily step away from the morality of his faith to gain political standing. If this is the case, then he is not truly a Catholic. Faith is something that you live by and actively practice, it is not something that you can ignore when it is not convenient. Being Pro-Life is not always popular, but it is the right thing. As a leader of our nation Senator Manchin should have the courage of his convictions! Or maybe his convictions are not in standing with the Church he belongs to. If that is the case, he should be denied the Eucharist and thrown out of the Knights of Columbus until he either sees the error of his ways and repents, or he should explore Anglicanism.

Message to Joe Manchin: You should be ashamed of yourself!

1 comment: